Explosion is a software company specializing in developer tools for Artificial Intelligence and Natural Language Processing. We’re the makers of spaCy, one of the leading open-source libraries for advanced NLP and Prodigy, an annotation tool for radically efficient machine teaching.
- Artificial Intelligence is not magic. The technology is only useful if it’s easy to understand.
- The best AI products won’t be built from boxed solutions. Developers need custom models and transparent tools, not just cloud services.
- AI software needs better developer and user experience. This requires hybrid skill sets and radical attention to detail.
- If you ship it, you should own it. We believe in taking responsibility for our software, and letting you do the same.
- Technology should be accessible. We want to provide the most value with open-source software. That’s why we’ve built spaCy and our other tools and libraries.
- We’re not your typical startup. We’re bootstrapped, independent and put stability over moonshots.
In August 2021, we sold 5% of Explosion to SignalFire for $6 million, with warrants for a further 10% at the same valuation. Employees are given a stake in Explosion using a virtual share bonus program. In July 2022, SignalFire exercised part of their warrants by investing a further $3 million to increase their stake in the company.
Matthew Honnibal CTO, Founder
Ines Montani CEO, Founder
Oana Olteanu SignalFire